[Auscope-geosciml] RE: GeoSciML mapping file

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Sun Apr 26 19:11:42 EDT 2009

Simon,
1. Is
gsml:Borehole/sa:relatedSamplingFeature/sa:SamplingFeatureRelation/sa:target/sa:Specimen/sa:currentLocation/gmd:CI_Address
not allowed at the moment?

2. "The BoreholeDetails/startPoint/BoreholeStartPointCode path does not
look like it would easily capture that logic"
I agree.  I suggest that this should be changed to either a numeric value
or a numeric value and BoreholeStartPointCode.

3. Some other isues that have come up as part of the mapping:
3a gsml:drillingMethod (1..1).  The drillingMethod may actually vary down
the Borehole (RAB then diamond core then RAB etc).  The current model does
not allow this. A simple solution is to change the cardinality to (1..*).
A preferable solution would be to relate individual MappedIntervals to the
different drillingMethods.
3b. A similar case as 2a exists for nominalDiameter, which may also vary
down the Borehole

GeoScience Victoria
EARTH RESOURCES DIVISION
Department of Primary Industries
Melbourne, Victoria
AUSTRALIA

<Simon.Cox at csiro.au>
24/04/2009 05:00 PM

<Jenkins.Gregory at saugov.sa.gov.au>, <Guillaume.Duclaux at csiro.au>,
<Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au>, <Gerrard.Christie at saugov.sa.gov.au>,
<Peter.Warren at csiro.au>
cc
<Florence.Tan at csiro.au>, <Ryan.Fraser at csiro.au>
Subject
RE: GeoSciML mapping file

1. Greg - you can't just pick fields at random from within ISO 19115.
They have to be valid in the context of the object being described.
There is currently no valid path from gsml:Borehole to
gmd:CI_Address/gmd:administrativeArea.

gsml:Borehole/sa:relatedSamplingFeature/sa:SamplingFeatureRelation/sa:target/sa:Specimen/sa:currentLocation/gmd:EX_GeographicDescription/gmd:geographicIdentifier/gmd:MD_Identifier/gmd:code

is the best we can do. A (sensible) revision of the sampling features spec
would see

gsml:Borehole/sa:relatedSamplingFeature/sa:SamplingFeatureRelation/sa:target/sa:Specimen/sa:currentLocation/gmd:CI_Address/gmd:adminstrativeArea,
as you require, because there are no mandatory fields in CI_Address. If
you want to just put the town, that would be valid.

2. Thanks for explanation of start-depth.
I had not realised that a collar was not necessarily the same as the
drilling start point.
So, it looks like the gsml Borehole model may require some fixing to
accommodate this - the GSML v2 model is here:
http://www.geosciml.org/geosciml/2.0/doc/Images/EAID_6135C407_EC75_417d_B400_877478C4C485.gif
.
The BoreholeDetails/startPoint/BoreholeStartPointCode path does not look
like it would easily capture that logic.
No-one caught this during the GeoSciML review period ...

Simon
______
Simon.Cox at csiro.au  CSIRO Exploration & Mining
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151
PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102  AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (0)8 6436 8639  Cell: +61 (0) 403 302 672
Polycom PVX: 130.116.146.28
<http://www.csiro.au>