[Auscope-geosciml] Which O&M version? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laxton, John L jll at bgs.ac.uk
Thu Aug 6 11:19:30 EDT 2009

I agree we should all aim to use the same version and the OGC 1.0 version clearly has the attraction of stability. That said I would assume that in the longer term we will need to switch to the ISO version for interoperability with the wider world - which is after all the main point of using O&M rather than developing a simpler system of our own taylored to our specific requirements. To take Simon's analogy - old versions of Windows may be available for ever but they eventually become unusable in practice because of incompatibility with what others are using. So I think it is a trade-off here between short term stability and the effort of medium term conversion. Guess it comes down to how different the versions are and whether those differences are relevant to us.....