[Auscope-geosciml] Fault movements [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laxton, John L jll at bgs.ac.uk
Tue Aug 11 04:28:52 EDT 2009

Hi Ollie,

The OneGeology-Europe (not INSPIRE) fault vocabulary is still being reviewed at present so will change (I hope!) - I'll be sending them some comments in the next few days. They have definitely got the wrong end of the stick in places but this is in part because I think there is a confusion with the way GeoSciML describes faults which you can see from the GeoSciML vocabularies. I think we need to revisit what we are trying to do with these descriptions, and in my opinion we would be better with a single structured vocabulary of fault types in which we could embed relations such as a normal fault is a type of dip slip fault etc. Failing that the faultMovementSense and faultMovementType descriptors should be genuinely independent and complementary - but I think that is very much a 'second best' option as it would still be complicated to use.