[Auscope-geosciml] OGC, WMS-WFS chaining, catalogs [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rob.Atkinson at csiro.au Rob.Atkinson at csiro.au
Wed Aug 26 22:25:31 EDT 2009

Hi,

its better that someone who truly represents the domain takes on this role, but I'm willing and resourced under AuScope to provide some assistance.

The document provided has a key "contract" hidden in the data flow description, step 1

"the WMS Client displays the available features. "

I.e. the architecture includes some contract between the metadata exposed by the WMS and the available features in WFS, searchable via the registry.

What does this look like? it is embedded in layer name, keywords, referenced metadata documents, describeLayer ..

from the ether....

"WMS DescribeLayer is currently part of the SLD WMS spec, and is meant to
> tie a WMS layer to a WFS typename or WCS coverage. Not all WMS services
> implement this though, Mapserver and Geoserver do, but e.g. ArcGIS
> Server currently does not. There are plans to move the DescribeLayer
> request from SLD WMS to mainstream WMS in WMS 1.4. A simple parser for
> WMS DescribeLayer response is in [1].
>
> Currently a lot of applications by-pass WMS DescribeLayer and assume WMS
> OnlineResource = WFS OnlineResource and WMS layer name = WFS typename.
> Although this will work in some cases, it will fail in others, but it
> saves a trip to the server. So a question for GeoExt is: do we want to
> follow the OGC way in this? I would be in favour of using WMS
> DescribeLayer even if this is an extra round-trip to the server. But
> what do others think?

"

I would suggest this is a good place to ask the OGC to clarify the architecture - is it a requirement for a best practice convention or something that needs to be made explicit in the  OGC specifications.

Rob