[Auscope-geosciml] An issue with ISODataQualityand UnitsOfMeasure schema [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tue Oct 13 07:27:10 EDT 2009

I can understand Ollie's comment because we have been working for some times now with the assumption that the UML was the only representation of the model, XSD was just a Fullmoon click away.  So our model is isomorphic (is it ?) and as Ollie, I expected other UML of the ISO/OGC familly would also be.

Is your comment saying "those other UML are not ismorphic and it is sad" or "UML models, including GeoSciML, are not required to be isomorphic"..  This has an impact because the trend is to include other models (Metadata, SKOS, O&M, Sampling) and we do this through UML.

De : auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au [mailto:auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au] De la part de Simon Cox
Envoyé : 13 octobre 2009 04:15
À : auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au
Cc : John.Hockaday at ga.gov.au
Objet : Re: [Auscope-geosciml] An issue with ISODataQualityand UnitsOfMeasure schema [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

The UML model is a conceptual schema, not a graphical view of the XML schema.
The use of a regular encoding rule makes them generally isomorphic, but not fully.
You just have to trust the encoder, which uses mappings as well as rules.

If you want a view of the schema, then use an XML tool, not UML.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu <mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu>
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox <http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox>