[Auscope-geosciml] An issue withISODataQualityand UnitsOfMeasure schema [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Tue Oct 13 18:37:19 EDT 2009

Eric has it.  Now we realise that ISO schemas do not necessarily reflect the ISO UML.  But unless we construct instance docs as we model, or carry the ISO documentation with us, we are unlikely to realise that our model which uses ISO elements will not be delivered as we expect.  In the case of UnitOfMeasure, the difference between UML and schema is not insignificant.

Data modelling teams like us construct models using UML, not xsd, and until now (as Eric points out) we have expected the xsd to replicate the UML (eg; GeoSciML UML goes into FullMoon, isomorphic GeoSciML xsd comes out the other end).  I suppose now that we are going to use SKOS/RDF mappings for encoding GSML vocabularies, the assumption of UML/XSD isomorphism no longer holds for GeoSciML either.

National Advice,  Maps and Standards Project

Ph: (02) 62499575 | Fax: (02) 62499992 | Email: Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Web:  http://www.ga.gov.au/minerals/research/national/nat_maps/nat_geol_maps.jsp<http://www.ga.gov.au/geoscience/national>

Google Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=canberra+australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.344028,149.158362&spn=0.007684,0.016404&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1>

-- This message was created with 100% recycled electrons --