[Auscope-geosciml] Alteration vocabularies [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Oct 19 20:08:44 EDT 2009

Hi Ollie,

- Alteration Scale - eg; mm, cm, m, km
What is this used for?

- Alteration Texture - eg; cockade, colloform, comb, dog tooth, fibrous,
bladed, banded, vuggy, saccharoidal, opaline, laminated, massive (Would
have to define this well to separate it from AlterationDistribution)
Can the "FabricDescription" class on RockMaterial be used for this when
describing the EarthMaterial? Do we need a general "FabricDescription"
class associated with GeologicUnit to capture terms like "massive" when
applied to the GeologicUnit? (All those who were at Perth in 2004 may now
have a deja vu moment!).

- Alteration Controlling Fabric or Structure - eg; foliation, bedding,
shearing, faulting, brecciation
This is about relating the GeologicStructure:Foliation to the GeologicUnit
using GeologicRelation. I don't believe this has actually been tested as
yet.  Perhaps it should be tested as part of GeoSciML v2.1 or v 3.0
testing.  Any takers?

Cheers
Bruce

GeoScience Victoria
EARTH RESOURCES DIVISION
Department of Primary Industries
Melbourne, Victoria
AUSTRALIA

<Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au>
Sent by: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au
19/10/2009 04:59 PM
Please respond to
auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au

<steve.richard at azgs.az.gov>
cc
auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au
Subject
[Auscope-geosciml] Alteration vocabularies [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Steve,

I’ve attached some lookup tables from GA for hydrothermal alteration that
might be added to the weathering vocabularies for AlterationDescription in
GeoSciML3.

Also, we use a few additional attributes for describing alteration that
the modelling team may be interested in adding to the
AlterationDescription class:

- Alteration Scale - eg; mm, cm, m, km
- Alteration Texture - eg; cockade, colloform, comb, dog tooth, fibrous,
bladed, banded, vuggy, saccharoidal, opaline, laminated, massive (Would
have to define this well to separate it from AlterationDistribution)
- Alteration Controlling Fabric or Structure - eg; foliation, bedding,
shearing, faulting, brecciation

Any thoughts?

National Advice,  Maps and Standards Project

Ph: (02) 62499575 | Fax: (02) 62499992 | Email: Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Web:
http://www.ga.gov.au/minerals/research/national/nat_maps/nat_geol_maps.jsp
Google Map

-- This message was created with 100% recycled electrons --