[Auscope-geosciml] RE : CGI Value SWE

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Tue Sep 1 12:51:29 EDT 2009

I've never actually used SWE, but looking at the UML in HollowWorld, it
looks like the elements in question are in the simpleTypes package. The
conceptual setup makes sense, and I like the use of the Quality
property.  However, as John L points out, the ability to add qualifiers
is useful. This could be accounted for by using something like a SWE
DataRecord, but its not at all obvious to me that this would be any
simpler or more interoperable than CGI_Value. Interoperability will
still depend on a more proscriptive application profile that restricts
the possible encodings.

steve

Boisvert, Eric wrote:
> should we bring the swe encoding back to the table. it has been rejected in Tucson on the basis that we were not ready to deal with it.  Or is swe just CGI_Value in another dress ?
>
> Eric
>
> ________________________________
>
> De: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au de la part de Laxton, John L
> Date: mar. 2009-09-01 05:08
> À: auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au
> Objet : Re: [Auscope-geosciml] CGI Value abomination
>

> I think we have definitely over-used CGI_Value - as I recall it was put in almost ubiquitously on the basis that with experience of the use of GeoSciML we would have a better idea what type of data was actually being used for particular properties. We now have that experience for many, but by no means all, of the properties so we should definitely be able to reduce the use of CGI_Value.
>

> That said a couple of points need to be remembered:
>

> 1. As well as allowing us to be imprecise about the basic type of a property CGI_Value allows us to add a qualifier to the value. I think given the nature of much geoscience data there is requirement for this for many properties, even where we can now allocate a precise data type - this doesn't just apply to field data.
>

> 2. There are definitely some properties (eventAge springs to mind) where the ability to specify the property in a range of different ways is essential.
>

> We should therefore be able to reduce the use of CGI_Value, but not eliminate it.
>

> Jo

Section Chief, Geoinformatics
Tucson, Arizona, 85701 USA

Phone: