[Auscope-geosciml] Borehole modeling

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Wed Sep 2 11:54:59 EDT 2009

Eric--
It seems to me that boreholes (wikipedia has a good definition) in
different roles have different properties of interest, and this is what
needs to be captured in the model.  Information about drilling
procedure, completion, associated sampling, kinds of logs, production
from the borehole, ownership, and abandonment will be different for
environmental monitoring or mitigation, mineral exploration, oil and gas
exploration vs production, water production. Looking at the
gsml:borehole model, it is apparent that it is oriented to mineral
exploration. We have a 'coredInterval', but why not a 'sampledInterval'
(cuttings instead of core, water samples, logged intervals...). The
start point code doesn't include 'Kelly bushing', which is typically the
start point for O&G wells. Simon's 'IntervalConstruction' would probably
have other specializations for oil wells (reservoir enhancement
processes, casing?) or environmental mitigation boreholes.
option 1. Subtyping boreholes to associate them with these different
property sets
option 2. soft type boreholes, and deal with the property sets as rules.

Its the same problem we have wrestled with on GeologicUnit. We tried
hard typing first, then switched to soft typing. Which is better?

The view of a water well as a point source of water is useful from the
point of view of someone managing a water production and distribution
network, but that seems out of scope for geoscience models.

steve

Boisvert, Eric wrote:
> Here the description we have
>
> An excavation where the intended use is for location, acquisition, development, or artificial recharge of ground water.
>
> http://water.nv.gov/WaterPlanning/dict-1/PDFs/wwords-w.pdf
>
> A water well is an excavation or structure created in the ground ? by digging, driving, boring or drilling to access water in underground aquifers.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_well <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_well>
>

> The whole discussion was more around "is water well a role or a thing ?". Boyan rule of thumb is "role can change" and considering that a borehole can stop being a water well, it might be a role.
>
> some element of the discussion came from the Australian groundwater model, see figure 3.1a and 3.1b - these are places you can draw water from
> http://www.brs.gov.au/land&water/groundwater/fundamental.html#2
>
> Now, if it's a role, and we can draw groundwater from several features, we came up with the model where a Water well is a point where groundwater is extracted from some other feature.
> The figure attached shows a WaterWell that has a relation (groundwaterAccessFeature) to any feature
> I think it's a case where we went too 'conceptual'.  While the model is conceptually right (maybe), it is not practical (If we have to explain it at length to people who are knowledgeable in both UML and geology, it must fail the laugh test)
>
> My intention (and it's Wednesday) is to revert to WaterWell as a subtype of Borehole.
>
> Eric

... clip off a bunch of previous discussion in thread.... smr

Section Chief, Geoinformatics
Tucson, Arizona, 85701 USA

Phone:
Office: (520) 209-4127