[Auscope-geosciml] RE : CGI Value abomination [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Thu Sep 3 15:35:44 EDT 2009

The xlink:href to controlled concepts only works for elements that take
a ControlledConcept as a value (and allow byReference); scopedName is
the link to controlledConcept when the element takes CGI_TermValue,
which has a value, which is a ScopedName, which we want to point at a
controlledConcept.

The URI for the concept is unique, and the CGI identifier scheme
actually includes the classifierScheme in the URN, so including the
classifierScheme as the codespace for the concept is indeed redundant.
If the classifierScheme URI were easier to resolve it would be a
convenience. Better yet, perhaps we invent some sort of 'resolvable
identifier' that includes an attribute which is the URL for a resolver?

<Identifier
resolver="http://srvgeosciml.brgm.fr/exist/brgm_geosciml/concept.xql"
codespace="urn:ietf:rfc:2141">urn:cgi:classifier:CGI:Lithology:200811:andesitic_rock</Identifier>

note that the codespace here is "urn:ietf:rfc:2141", because the
identifier is a URN.  The classifierScheme is
"urn:cgi:classifierScheme:CGI:Lithology:200811", which can be derived
from the URN.  This sort of scheme would require that the data consumer
knows the correct requests to make to the service to get a term
definition or language localization, which would be greatly facilitated
if there was some standard vocabulary service specification...

steve

Boisvert, Eric wrote:
> Can't someone remind me why we have apparently 2 ways to refered to ControlledConcept ?
> The xlink:href and the ScopesName.  I vaguely remember that if a scopeName contains certains urn, the value must contains a urn.
>

>> in that case is the URI for the concept, the codespace is the URI for the containing vocabulary
>>

> Aren't urn unique anyway ?.  Isn't the first urn redundant (or it's just a 'trigger' ?)
>
> Eric

Section Chief, Geoinformatics
Tucson, Arizona, 85701 USA

Phone: