[Auscope-geosciml] service architecture [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Wed Sep 16 19:28:41 EDT 2009

Hi Tim, Ben,

Can you please better explain for me point #19 on the Service Architecture twiki page...  (https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/CGIModel/ServiceArchitectureTG)

"...Can WFS queries be specified against base classes or substitution groups of polymorphic types? For example, suppose I wanted to filter gsml:MappedFeature to find the mapped features with associated specifications having a particular name. The mapped features could have specifications of different (polymorphic) types..."

Do you mean like when a gsml:Fault (eg, gml:name = Lake George Fault) is also a gsml:Contact?

"...Querying against supertype allows queries to be made on the common properties that all types of or derived from that supertype have. Would I query using an xpath with a parent-type (possibly abstract) element name? A PropertyEquals Query with something like: gsml:specification/gml:_Feature/gml:name or gsml:specification/gml:GeologicFeature/gml:name This would match gml:GeologicUnit or gsml:GeologicStructure with a matching gml:name. The concrete type would be encoded in the response...."

Could you give a real world example when a GeologicUnit would have the same name as a GeologicStructure?

This item seems to be an extension of item #3.  If you deliver individual geologic feature types in separate WFS services (like we did in Testbed 3), then you don't get the problem of dealing with mixed geologic feature types.

National Advice,  Maps and Standards Project

Ph: (02) 62499575 | Fax: (02) 62499992 | Email: Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Web:  http://www.ga.gov.au/minerals/research/national/nat_maps/nat_geol_maps.jsp<http://www.ga.gov.au/geoscience/national>

Google Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=canberra+australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.344028,149.158362&spn=0.007684,0.016404&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1>

-- This message was created with 100% recycled electrons --