[Auscope-geosciml] RE : RE : [ExternalEmail] Re: RE : RE : service architecture [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Fri Sep 18 06:11:51 EDT 2009

I missed the " 't ", which totally change the meaning of the sentence

you can't specify a subtype.

________________________________

De: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au de la part de Boisvert, Eric
Date: ven. 2009-09-18 05:30
À: auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au; auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au
Objet : [Auscope-geosciml] RE : [ExternalEmail] Re: RE : RE : service architecture [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

The '*' trick only work if the server respect the schema (and it should) and it only works for head of substitution, you can specify a subtype.

For example.  in a given xpath

a/B/c/D

and if we look the server response as a big XML document

if B is the head of subsitution of a complex tree that has M and N as direct child and M has two childs Z and P

 N   M
    Z  P

in a/*/c/D, the * can only match all substitution of B  and you can't specify you just want M and its descendants.
You must then explicitly provide a list of all elements [M|Z|P]

So you are right, '*' is only a partial solution.