[auscope-geosciml] URI resolution and javascript sandbox

Sun Aug 8 13:57:31 EDT 2010

Sorry for the technical question here, I hope some programmers on the list (Ben ? Agnès ?) can tell me what they think.

I'm trying to implement a test case where a web client would read a GeoSciML file loaded with URI references.  I tried to implement something in javascript that could defer those reference and do something with them.  But I've been stopped by the fact that Javascript runs into a security sandbox that prevents it from dynamically reading from any other domain than the one the page comes from.  There are tricks to circumvert this problem

http://usejquery.com/posts/9/the-jquery-cross-domain-ajax-guide

the most straighforward is to implement a server proxy (all the solution are some sorts of proxies anyway).  Anyway, bottom line is that http URI in a web environment cannot be used as is (unless the web application happens to be at the same place, which is unlikely because we expect URI from various places) and therefore does not resolve (no pun intended) the resource deference problem (you need a proxy) at least in a WEB application, which is likely to be the most common one (1G portal comes to mind)

Now, I remember the great debates about URN and location of the resolver.  Doesn't sandbox restriction kind of impose where this resolver should be ?.  we need to configure a proxy anyway, which is not terribly different from configuring a resolver location ....

just a though.  Am I missing something ?

Eric

<http://usejquery.com/posts/9/the-jquery-cross-domain-ajax-guide>