[auscope-geosciml] Nillable attributes in GeologicEvent [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Tue Aug 10 02:33:18 EDT 2010

This brings up a topic for the Rome meeting that was not really cleared up at Quebec.

1.  youngerNamedAge, olderNamedAge are effectively "nillable" by using an href to one of the OGC nil values URIs like

   <gt:youngerNamedAge xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/nil/OGC/0/missing"/>

2.  numericAgeDate cannot be "nilled" by using xlink:href, but its 3 components (youngerBoundDate, olderBoundDate, reportingDate) can be.

   <gt:numericAgeDate>
      <cgu:CGI_NumericAgeRange>
         <cgu:reportingDate xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/nil/OGC/0/missing"/>
         <cgu:olderBoundDate xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/nil/OGC/0/witheld"/>
         <cgu:youngerBoundDate xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/nil/OGC/0/unknown"/>
      </cgu:CGI_NumericAgeRange>
   </gt:numericAgeDate>
   <gt:youngerNamedAge xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/nil/OGC/0/missing"/>
   <gt:olderNamedAge xlink:href="http://www.opengis.net/def/nil/OGC/0/missing"/>

3.  Alternatively, I could change the GeologicAge schema so that all the three GeologicEvent attributes are nillable like this:

 <gt:GeologicEvent>
   <gt:numericAgeDate nil="true" nilReason="missing"/>
   <gt:youngerNamedAge nil="true" nilReason="witheld"/>
   <gt:olderNamedAge nil="true" nilReason="unknown"/>
 </gt:GeologicEvent>

(Note that the 'nilReason' attribute is only available in GML3.2 schemas)

So, at Rome (or earlier via email) we need to decide and document which path we are going to adopt for nillable elements.

PS. https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/AppSchemas/NilValues for Simon's description of the options.

PPS.  Marcus, given that a "nil value URI" solution is currently available in the v3 RC1 schemas, I have decided for the moment not to change the GeologicAge.xsd or Value.xsd schemas before discussion at Rome.