[auscope-geosciml] changing schema in subversion tag

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed Aug 11 18:25:55 EDT 2010

I wholeheartedly support Marcus' suggestions for the two branches:
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/branches/3.0_gml3.2_schemas
and
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/branches/3.0_gml3.1_schemas

.
I think the 'tags' are an unnecessary overhead until we have a stable
GeoSciML v3.0 (ie after Testbed 4 has ironed out the problems) as we don't
expect anyone to use v3.0 until after it has been signed off.

Cheers
Bruce

"Sen, Marcus A" <mase at bgs.ac.uk>
Sent by: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au
11/08/2010 06:00 PM
Please respond to
auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au

"auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au" <auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au>
cc

Subject
Re: [auscope-geosciml] changing schema in subversion tag

Yes, I thought about bringing this up but, as we don't have a system in
place and I need to set up services pointing to some schemaLocation before
the end of next week I decided to play fast and loose with the rules to
apply fixes which I needed for working services. Sorry :-)

Our situation is a bit different from the usual program development
projects where there is source code from which the program can be
automatically built by a build system. We have the UML source (in XMI
format) and a semi-automatic process to build XML Schema files and we want
versions of the generated XML Schema files to be available on the web for
testing with instance documents and services. In addition we have two
different XML Schema versions generated from the same UML model; one GML
3.1 compatible and one GML 3.2 compatible.

The UML model is split into different packages which potentially can be
versioned separately (and clearly are with the externally governed ones)
but we are generating a single overall version of the XML Schemas using
particular versions of each package.

There are still some ongoing fixes to the model occurring. There are also
manual fixes to the generated XML Schema's which need making after
generation. Keeping these in sync is currently a manual job (essentially
down to Olly) which can't currently be done perfectly but just on a
best-efforts basis.

Testbed participants need reference XML Schemas against which to test
validation of their instances whether manually generated or by services. I
would suggest that for each of the GML 3.1 and GML 3.2 versions of the
schemas we want a location where the latest corrections will always be
applied and periodically frozen tag versions which will not change. This
will enable instance generators to access the current latest version for
testing but also to choose to validate against certain fixed release
points without worrying that the XML Schemas will change while they are
constructing the documents. If they see a later tagged release they can
update to point to that when they are ready for the possibility of having
to change the instances again.

Bearing the above in mind I would like to suggest the following
organisation as the least disruptive and easiest to implement in our
current Testbed timescale. Rome participants can discuss any longer term
re-organisation of the repository during that meeting.

Keep two latest GeoSciML 3.0 XML Schema only branches at :

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/branches/3.0_gml3.2_schemas
and
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/branches/3.0_gml3.1_schemas

These branches will be updated with changes from the UML model on a best
efforts basis by Olly and with fixes to the XML Schema serialisation by
anyone who spots them, but after consultation on the email list first if
they are not obvious.

Periodically make frozen tag versions of the above branches at

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/tags/3.0.0_rc1_gml3.2_schemas
and
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/tags/3.0.0_rc1_gml3.2_schemas

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/tags/3.0.0_rc2_gml3.2_schemas

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/tags/3.0.0_rc3_gml3.2_schemas
and
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/tags/3.0.0_rc3_gml3.2_schemas

etc.

The exact form of the names is a suggestion only.

I guess it's mainly down to Olly to say if he is happy to maintain things
this way but comments from those creating instances would also be useful.

contained in this email.