[auscope-geosciml] Fw: GeoSciML @ OGC

percy percyd at pdx.edu
Sun Aug 29 13:29:00 EDT 2010

I think that incubating a standard like this this, and then having it
migrate up (as it were) to a larger standards body should be considered
a sign of success!
I can't imagine that we would somehow become irrelevant regarding the
the authority over the standard. They would surely consult with us
before making any changes.
Or am I being naive?
:-)

Percy

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:

> Hi GeoSciML team,
> Peter Baumann has identified that we have a www.geosciml.org GeoSciML
> subdirectory at http://www.opengis.net/
> but not at http://schemas.opengis.net/.
> In case of adoption by OGC the normative schema would likely go to
> http://schemas.opengis.net . One of
> the things to consider at Rome before approaching OGC is whether we want
> to give this authority to OGC?
>
> Cheers
> Bruce
>
> Ph: +61-3-9658 4502
> Fax: +61-3-9658 4555
> Mobile: +61 429 177155
> ----- Forwarded by Bruce Simons/DPI/VICGOV1 on 29/08/2010 07:48 AM -----
> *Peter Baumann <p.baumann at jacobs-university.de>*
>
> 28/08/2010 07:45 PM

> cc
> 	"Asch, Kristine" <Kristine.Asch at bgr.de>, "Broome, John"
> <Broome at NRCan.gc.ca>, "Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au"
> <Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au>, "Carlos Gabriel Asato, CGI"
> <g_asato2000 at yahoo.com>, "Francois Robida, BRGM" <f.robida at brgm.fr>,
> "Ian Jackson (E-Mail)" <i.jackson at bgs.ac.uk>, Koji Wakita
> <koji-wakita at aist.go.jp>, "percyd at pdx.edu" <percyd at pdx.edu>,
> cgisecretariat <cgisecretariat at bgs.ac.uk>
> Subject
> 	GeoSciML @ OGC
>

> Dear all,
>
> first, my apologies that I missed our joint dinner. Some unforeseen
> "deep impact" had caught me.
>
> Next, FYI: At http://www.opengis.net/ you find a GeoSciML subdirectory
> linking to www.geosciml.org, but not at http://schemas.opengis.net/.
> This may make sense for now, in case of an adoption by OGC the normative
> schema likely would go to http://schemas.opengis.net . This is one of
> the things to consider when approaching OGC: Do we want to give this
> authority to OGC?
>
> cheers,
> Peter
>
> PS: I lack the email address of Wang Jun, as I am on a trip. Waht do you
> think about establishing an email reflector to avoid having to check all
> addresses for completeness every time?
>
> --
> Dr. Peter Baumann
>  - Professor of Computer Science, Jacobs University Bremen
>    www.faculty.jacobs-university.de/pbaumann
>    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
>    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
>  - Executive Director, rasdaman GmbH Bremen (HRB 147737)
>    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
>    tel: 0800-rasdaman, fax: 0800-rasdafax, mobile: +49-173-5837882
> "Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis
> ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli
> destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD
> 10xx)
>

> Notice:
> This email and any attachments may contain information that is personal,
> confidential,
> [...]

David Percy
Geospatial Data Manager
Geology Department