[auscope-geosciml] Fw: GeoSciML @ OGC

Rob.Atkinson at csiro.au Rob.Atkinson at csiro.au
Sun Aug 29 19:32:40 EDT 2010

This is a challenge with using URIs.

Under the (sensible IMHO) ISO 19135 "procedures for registration" there is a clear split between the REGISTRY and the REGISTER.

The Registry Owner and Registry Manager would be OGC and the delegated administrator, which may further delegate under some administration process.

The Register Owner would be CGI...

The problem is that a resolvable URI uses the Registry location. If this URI is normative, and given OGC policy re absolute schema locations I think it is, it's therefore just another resolvable URI resource identifier.

CGI could delegate to the OGC the role of Register Manager (who might delegate it back I suppose). The problem with URIs is their lack of transferability from one registry to the other. If we don't wish to bind the register governance irrevocably to the OGC registry governance (irrevocable for this version that is), this is a problem/

Arguably there is already a solution posited, but I for one have lost track of where the debate got to - and this thread shows I'm not the only one. OASIS catalogs act as local proxy resolvers for schema locations, mirroring the debate over other identifiers - so maybe it's all safe, but I'd recommend documenting the delegation process explicitly and openly to avoid confusion about who is responsible for things.

Rob