[auscope-geosciml] Package dependencies in GeoSciML 3 UML model [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Sun Dec 5 18:03:32 EST 2010

see below some comments in red.

From: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au [mailto:auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au] On Behalf Of Rob.Atkinson at csiro.au
Sent: Monday, 6 December 2010 9:29 AM
To: auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au
Subject: [auscope-geosciml] Package dependencies in GeoSciML 3 UML model

Have found a few dependency issues in the UML model - probably not impacting on the schema generation process but definitely impacting on the integrity of the model itself.

1)      Dependency on Sensor ML v1.0 - this is the container package for the application schemas sweCommon and SensorML  - imports can only occur at for application schemas, and I think that the actual dependency is sweCommon

Talking with Bruce Simons, I've made changes to package dependency diagrams to fix this, shouldn't affect the schema generation process

2)      There are other, perhaps more serious, circular dependencies,

Using the HollowWorldHelper "Generate Package Dependencies Diagram on EarthMaterial we get:

A new connector has been created 'EarthMaterial -> Fossil' (A class link has been found between 'ParticleGeometryDescription' and 'Organism') [I neglected to do a package dependency diagram for Fossil because we weren't generating a schema for it.  I suppose I should do one for completeness?]

 A new connector has been created 'EarthMaterial -> sweCommon' (An attribute data type reference has been found between attribute 'ChemicalComposition.chemicalAnalysis' and external class + 'DataRecord')  [Yep, I had mistakenly linked it to SensorML]

A new connector has been created 'EarthMaterial -> ISO 19115:2006 Metadata (Corrigendum)' (A class link has been found between 'EarthMaterial' and 'MD_Metadata') [Damn, my bad.]

A new connector has been created 'EarthMaterial -> GeoSciML-Core' (A class link has been found between 'AlterationDescription' and 'GeologicEvent')  [Circular dependency will be resolved]

A new connector has been created 'EarthMaterial -> CGI_Utilities' (A package link has been found between 'EarthMaterial' and 'CGI_Utilities')  [This "error" and the PhysicalProperties one are because the HollowWorld tool creates "Dependency imports" whereas we have until now been using "Package imports" in the UML.  Hence the HW tool does not recognise that the packages are already related.

Can the HollowWorld tools for diagrams be made a bit smarter? eg, if a Context or Package Dependency diagram already exists, can the tool analyse what exists and add to it where necessary?  The tools are fantastic for building models from scratch, but can be a little frustrating when applied to a model like GeoSciML which is well developed.

 Also (for the benefit of others who were not privy to our conversation last week) due to  the fact that many ISO UML packages are not stereotyped as "Application Schema", the HW  tools (for Package diagrams and Context diagrams) appear not to be processing ISO App Schema dependencies properly.  Either the ISO UML or the HW tools should be updated.]

A new connector has been created 'EarthMaterial -> PhysicalProperties' (A package link has been found between 'EarthMaterial' and 'PhysicalProperties')

Fixing these issues may actually change model and schema generation process, so I've left them alone at this point.

Rob Atkinson
Research Scientist
CSIRO Land &Water

Mob: 0419 202973