[auscope-geosciml] EarthMaterial - GeoSciML-Core package dependencies - a major problem [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laxton, John L. jll at bgs.ac.uk
Wed Dec 8 06:09:20 EST 2010

Hi Bruce,

My point is that these properties in MetamorphicDescription/AlterationDescription (not just protolothLithology) ‘describe the state of the rock’ (your words!) before and after a GeologicEvent. They are of course related to the GeologicEvent but they are not describing it. In particular a GeologicEvent is likely to occur over a wide area, affecting different rocks in different places in different ways.

I also really don’t like the idea of an EarthMaterial being the resultantRock of a GeologicEvent.  Most EarthMaterial is a product of a sequence of events as indicated by the geologicHistory, and also of course a single GeologicEvent will alter in various ways lots of different rocks.

I think we are in danger of degrading the model for the sake of ease of administration and we would be best putting EarthMaterial back into the core.

John