[Auscope-geosciml] Fw: GeoSciML workshop [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laxton, John L jll at bgs.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 04:58:04 EST 2010

Hi,

Yes I think this approach to the workshop would be good but is dependent on us having the right people, in particular those involved in setting up the OneGeology WFS services as Agnes says. We need people who have some understanding of UML, some understanding of the GeoSciML model and some understanding of database schemas. Will these be the people coming to the Science Language Workshop? I know most of our geologist domain experts would not have the first two of these, and probably only quite a hazy understanding of the third!! If people don't have some level of pre-knowledge in these areas then I don't think that in a day it is possible to get to the point of mapping from database schemas to GeoSciML, let alone crtically appraising GeoSciML in light of this mapping. If we do get the right people then a workshop like this could lead to very useful feedback on the model. It might be a good idea to ask people to bring their own database schema rather than using ones we have pre-cooked as that will give more chance of being confronted by the unexpected.

John