[Auscope-geosciml] Testbed proposition [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Tue Mar 2 00:20:15 EST 2010

On 01/03/10 06:06, Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> An issue with this approach is that it will only include data we have in our production databases, or in a particular legend.  This does not fully test the model. I suggest that one of the Testbed participants (any volunteers?) also create a 'dummy' database which contains all properties that we wish to test (complete GeoSciML).  We then use this as a guide to craft the instance documents, and our own databases to establish the services.  It will also serve for 'unit tests' when testing middkleware such as GeoServer for WFS1.1 compliance.  In order to test the mapping and transformation it shouldn't be a database that looks like GeoSciML, but rather like one of our pre-GeoSciML databases with any missing components added to it.

A couple of requests:

- The reference data set should be in the public domain, or licensed in
a manner that permits modification and/or redistribution. GPL compatible
licences only, please. This includes the queries and sample instance
documents.

- Use cases should be as broad as possible, including polymorphism and
various encoding styles.

I want to write (or have written) GeoServer unit tests that cover a
GeoSciML reference data set. It is important that the reference data set
be in SQL or be translated into SQL so that is can be imported into
databases by automatic test procedures. I would like to support *both*
kinds of database, PostGIS *and* Oracle Spatial (with apologies to the
Blues Brothers). I would be happy for a GeoSciML version to be the
reference application schema for testing GeoServer app-schema.
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/Infosrvices/GeoserverDevelopmentPlan2010#Establish_reference_data_set_and

Software is only (at best) as good as its tests.

Kind regards,

Software Engineer, CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
Australian Resources Research Centre
26 Dick Perry Ave, Kensington WA 6151, Australia