[Auscope-geosciml] RE : Testbed proposition [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Tue Mar 2 00:32:43 EST 2010

On 01/03/10 18:12, Boisvert, Eric wrote:
> Fine with me, but this is more testing available mapping technologies than testing the model itself.

Not quite. Implementations can choose to support a subset of use cases.
The reference data set, queries, and instance documents need not be
constrained to those that can currently be mapped. Implementers can
report the use cases they support.

By providing the reference data set in an RDBMS-compatible format (e.g.
SQL), you increase the likelihood that an implementation will be able to
build a test suite. If the reference data set is in a
persistence-technology-neutral form, it might still work, but we run the
risk of adding more layers of complexity. Can you imagine test data in
XML, or JSON, and the things that could go wrong getting it into an
RDBMS? I suppose we could have the test data in the form of simple features.

Kind regards,

Software Engineer, CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
Australian Resources Research Centre
26 Dick Perry Ave, Kensington WA 6151, Australia