[Auscope-geosciml] RE : Testbed proposition [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Wed Mar 3 16:23:26 EST 2010

On 3/3/2010 12:14 PM, Boisvert, Eric wrote:
> Ok, looks like the ball stopped bouncing here.
> Do we go forward with the instance document from a legend/story ?  Do
> we have agreement from people who commited to those use cases ?

I would certainly be interested in taking a real map unit description
and putting it in GeoSciML, but I see it as a documentation/guidelines
kind of artifact. Having several people do the encoding independently
for several different descriptions, then 'harmonizing' the results for
each description, and putting the description, the GeoSciML and
describing the decisions made in a document would be very useful to have
for teaching.

We just need to collect some descriptions to use.
for example, the one used by NADM:
 From Harald Drewes. 1998, Geologic map of the Bartlett Mountain
Quadrangle, Pima and Santa Cruz counties, Arizona, USGS I-2624. Lat 31
deg 22'30" to 31 deg 30', long 111 deg 15' to 111 deg 22'30". Scale
1:24,000 (1 inch = 2,000 feet). The text of the legend item:
Dacitic Vent Breccia (Miocene) -Light-medium-gray, finely porphyritic
dacitic rock containing inclusions of Jurassic or Proterozoic granite
and Jurassic rhyolite (welded tuff?) as much as 20 m in diameter. The
subcircular outcrop mass of breccia probably is a volcanic vent or
throat. A halo of strongly saussuritized rock 0.3 -0.5 km wide
(delineated on map) surrounds this vent. The dacitic matrix consists of
phenocrysts (25-35%, as much as 2 mm in length) set in a
cryptocrystalline granular groundmass. Phenocrysts included albitized(?)
plagioclase (12-18%), chloritized biotite (2-5%), uralized amphibole
(2-10%), magnetite (trace to 2%), and apatite (trace). Quartz is present
as a secondary mineral, filing vugs.

Section Chief, Geoinformatics
Tucson, Arizona, 85701 USA

Phone: