[Auscope-geosciml] Event type vocabulary? what is it

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Wed Mar 17 12:58:38 EDT 2010

EventType property on GeologicEvent feature scope notes currently read:
term 'to broadly categorise the type of event (e.g. depositional,
tectonic, biological, metallogenic)'. Figuring out what should be in the
EventType vocabulary opens a host of questions -- how to categorize
events?, what are the use cases?. Kinds of event would be defined by
process and environment by my reckoning, so it would appear that
EventType would act as a short cut for some combination of
eventEnvironment and eventProcess.

  I looked through the TWIKI, our Quebec meeting notes, and what we have
there
(https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/CGIModel/Quebec2009ModelDesignTaskGroupAgenda#Agenda_and_Meeting_Notes)
is:

> DECISION: to deprecate preferredAge and replace with queries which
> look at eventProcess property and numericAgeDate. Will require
> Geoscience Concepts Task Group to ensure appropriate vocabularies on
> eventProcess are available.
>
>     * *Action 15. Geoscience Concept Task Group to look at
>       eventProcess vocabulary to ensure a query on eventProcess and
>       numericAgeDate will return appropriate values (ie capture both
>       deposition and intrusion events) - SteveRichard
>       <https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/Main/SteveRichard>*

The event process vocabulary is posted (
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/CGI_CDTGVocabulary/tags/SKOSVocabularies/EventProcess201001.rdf.),
and numericAgeDate has been reengineered (Nov 2009).

A GGIPAC Event vocabulary dated August 2006 was one of the starting
points for the eventProcess vocabulary (see
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/CGIModel/GeologicEventTypeTerms).
EventType as conceived at that time was rolled into
EventProcess/EventEnvironment for GeoSciML  v2. We added EventType at v. 3.

I think adding eventType was outcome of discussion in December
summarized at
https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/CGIModel/GeologicFeatureClassifierDiscussion.
Here's what John Laxton wrote

> I also think we need a classifier on GeologicEvent for events such as
> orogenies. These would ideally be described by prototype
> ControlledConcepts in which properties such as the age of the orogeny
> would be recorded. Specific GeologicEvents, bound to a particular
> GeologicFeature and describing for example a particular period of
> folding (f1 etc), could then be classified using the prototype
> GeologicEvents describing the orogeny of which the f1 folding was a
> local manifestation.

Does eventType implements this classifier concept?  That seems like a
potentially useful interpretation. In that case, something like the
OneGeologyEurope OrogenicEvent vocabulary is a gsml:EventType
vocabulary, and we get into the 'ontologic level' discussion about
names, classifiers, types etc. (see the Dec Twiki summary to review
that...). These categories are specific geologic events - they involve
geologic process, geologic environment, geologic age, and geographic
location.  This looks like a slippery slope. Does one look for the
depositional age by specifying the eventProcess or eventType?. Does one
look for structures related to the Laramide orogeny by specifying the
GeologicEvent/gml.name, or specifying the EventType...

steve

On 3/16/2010 7:09 PM, Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:

> [...]
> 	<auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au>
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	[Auscope-geosciml] Event type vocabulary? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
>

> Hi Steve et al,
>
> Does anyone have a vocabulary for GeologicEvent/eventType?  There is
> not one in the list of CGI vocabularies and we will need one because
> eventType is a ScopedName.  I presume the vocabulary would be a broad
> categorisation of events, something like:
>
> sedimentary
> igneous
> metamorphic
> tectonic
> hydrothermal
> biological
> atmospheric
> etc
>
> OK?
>
> Cheers,
> Ollie
>
> /----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
>
> /Ollie Raymond/
> */ /*
> */National Advice, Maps and Standards Project/*
> /Geoscience Australia/
> */ /*
> */GeoSciML Design Group/*
> /IUGS Commission for the Management and Application of Geoscience
> Information/
> / /
> /----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
>
> *Address:* GPO Box 378, Canberra, ACT, 2601, Australia *|* *ABN:* 80
> 091 799 039
> *Ph:* +61 2 62499575 *|* *Fax:* +61 2 62499992 *|* *Email:
> *Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au <mailto:Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au> *|*
> *_Google Map_*
> <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=canberra+australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.344028,149.158362&spn=0.007684,0.016404&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1>*
> *
> National geological maps
> _http://www.ga.gov.au/minerals/research/national/nat_maps/nat_geol_maps.jsp_
>
> Geoscience Australia web services
> _http://www.ga.gov.au/resources/applications/ogc-wms.jsp_
>
> /----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
>

> --- This message was created with 100% recycled electrons ---

> Notice:
> This email and any attachments may contain information that is
> personal, confidential,
> legally privileged and/or copyright. No part of it should be
> reproduced, adapted or communicated without the prior written consent
> of the copyright owner.
>
> It is the responsibility of the recipient to check for and remove viruses.
>
> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by
> return email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. You
> are not authorised to use, communicate or rely on the information

Section Chief, Geoinformatics
Tucson, Arizona, 85701 USA

Phone:
Office: (520) 209-4127