[Auscope-geosciml] Event type vocabulary? what is it

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Wed Mar 17 13:46:24 EDT 2010

Yikes-- We added Classifier on event as well. That would be the logical
place to have association of an event with a specific geologic event
that might be reused (like Hercynian Orogeny, K-T boundary impact) and
have its own GeologicEvent prototype description.
So what use does that leave for EventType. The only one I can see that
doesn't create confusion with eventProcess -  eventEnvironment is to use
it in the sense of GeologicUnitType as a category that specifies
variations in the content model/intention of the actual GeologicEvent
element ('type' in the sense of data type). Examples --extended event
(orogeny), instantaneous event (bolide impact, volcanic eruption). Maybe
some coherent abstraction of the eventProcess vocabulary could be made
to categorize events that have different kinds of prototype
descriptions, but the danger is that if the eventTypes are just the
broader categories from the eventProcess vocabulary, then its unclear
which property to filter for those categories -- eventProcess or eventType.

steve

On 3/17/2010 9:58 AM, Stephen M Richard wrote:

> EventType property on GeologicEvent feature scope notes currently
> read: term 'to broadly categorise the type of event (e.g.
> depositional, tectonic, biological, metallogenic)'. Figuring out what
> should be in the EventType vocabulary opens a host of questions -- how
> to categorize events?, what are the use cases?. Kinds of event would
> be defined by process and environment by my reckoning, so it would
> appear that EventType would act as a short cut for some combination of
> eventEnvironment and eventProcess.

....snip...

> Does eventType implements this classifier concept?  That seems like a
> potentially useful interpretation. In that case, something like the
> OneGeologyEurope OrogenicEvent vocabulary is a gsml:EventType
> vocabulary, and we get into the 'ontologic level' discussion about
> names, classifiers, types etc. (see the Dec Twiki summary to review
> that...). These categories are specific geologic events - they involve
> geologic process, geologic environment, geologic age, and geographic
> location.  This looks like a slippery slope. Does one look for the
> depositional age by specifying the eventProcess or eventType?. Does
> one look for structures related to the Laramide orogeny by specifying
> the GeologicEvent/gml.name, or specifying the EventType...
>
> steve

snip...

Section Chief, Geoinformatics
Tucson, Arizona, 85701 USA