[Auscope-geosciml] Event type vocabulary? what is it [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Mar 18 19:33:39 EDT 2010

The discussion on eventType at Quebec doesn't seem to be recorded on
TWiki. Was it added before we added classifier to GeologicEvent and is now
therefore redundant?

Bruce

GeoScience Victoria
AuScope Grid
Australian Spatial Research Data Commons

<Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au>
Sent by: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au
19/03/2010 09:37 AM
Please respond to
auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au

<auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au>, <steve.richard at azgs.az.gov>
cc

Subject
Re: [Auscope-geosciml] Event type vocabulary? what is it
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Looks like my cunning plan to stimulate discussion worked....  Some
points:

1.  The scope notes for eventType were only added by me a couple of days
ago because there were none previously.  The notes are only my best guess
at the time of what eventType might be used for.

2.  My concern, like John’s, is that eventType and eventProcess are very
similar things.  As I suspected when I asked if anyone had a vocab for
eventType, similar terms are used in both vocabularies.  That suggests to
me that they are the same thing, and I question the need for eventType.  I
think Bruce suggested adding eventType (apologies if my failing memory is
incorrect), so maybe Bruce or others could outline their need for both
eventType and eventProcess?

3.  Re John’s issue with easily finding the “age” of a unit now that we
have deprecated preferredAge... I don’t see too much of a problem with
asking users to search for
          -  eventProcess in (‘deposition’,’intrusion’,’eruption’)    to
get the primary age of a unit, or
          -  eventProcess = ‘metamorphism’    to get the metamorphic age
of a unit.

National Advice, Maps and Standards Project
Geoscience Australia

GeoSciML Design Group
IUGS Commission for the Management and Application of Geoscience
Information

Ph: +61 2 62499575 | Fax: +61 2 62499992 | Email: Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
| Google Map
National geological maps