[Auscope-geosciml] GeochronologicEra and ScopedName [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Simon Cox simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu
Mon Mar 22 04:09:08 EDT 2010

Semantically they are almost the same - in both cases there is a notion of
an item from a set controlled by some authority - but a ScopedName is
term-centric (and thus not localizable) while a controlled-concept is
concept-centric (and as SKOS has shown us, a concept can have many labels).
(There is also a GeoSciML model for controlled-concept, giving it some extra
properties. These are essentially trivial in practice.)

Overall,
1. controlled-concept is more general, and
2. there is not an existing GML encoding rule to fight
If we apply our own encoding rule (i.e. an entry in the classmap) that it
shall be implemented as gml:ReferenceType, then we don't even need to play
with tagged values to get to a good place.

Simon

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
 <mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu> mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu
 <http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox>
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox

SDI Unit:  <http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/> http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
IES Institute:  <http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/> http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
JRC:  <http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/> http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

Any opinions expressed are personal unless otherwise indicated.

  _____