[Auscope-geosciml] ReferenceType for controlled concepts

Stephen M Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Mon Mar 22 12:06:24 EDT 2010

LocalizedGenericName only allows a language attribute, with the
implication that the element value is the 'name' in that language.
ScopedName allows a 'codespace' attribute, and our usage is that the
element value is the URI for a concept.
ControlledConcept as a GeoSciML element is an element with complex that
allows package of concept labels in different languages, explicit
identification of the containing vocabulary, a link to a 'prototype'
resource intended as a hook for a formal representation of the
definition (e.g. GeoSciML, OWL...), a text definition for humans, and
the ability to represent relationships between terms. We have replaced
this gsml element with equivalent machinery from SKOS.

To start, I think Ollie is right that LocalizedGenericName is probably
not what we want for associating a TimeOrdinalEra with a Stratigraphic
time scale vocabulary.

In our GeoSciML instance documents, we want to use concepts from
explicit vocabularies for semantic interoperability, but in general
don't want to include the term definitions inline (whether in SKOS or
gsml:ControlledConcept). Thus the move to replace ControlledConcept
with ScopedName, with the intention that the scoped names would be URI's
for the concepts, and the codespace would identify the containing
vocabulary (or the URI scheme used..?).

Simon's suggestion here is that we go all the way--be explicit that what
we're doing is referencing a concept resource using a URI. ReferenceType
defines an element that carries the simple xlink attribute group, and a
nilReason attribute. The xlink attributes we care about are are href,
role, arcrole, (all URIs), and a title string (all optional). The idea
is that the xlink:href would be the URI for the concept. Role and
arcRole in xlink are supposed to identify "some resource that describes
the intended property"; could be useful?. Title would function as a
label for the concept to present to users without needing to dereference
the URI (no language localization). ReferenceType elements are
byReference only, so there is no element value.

This suggestion needs some consideration. It clarifies that we are
referencing concept resources that are defined external to the GeoSciML
doc instance. It requires a convention that the xlink:href is a URI for
a concept, NOT a URL for some text explanation of the concept or OWL
snippet defining the concept (although that's what might come back when
you dereference the URI). It presents some interesting questions about
how one would package the vocabulary used with the dataset, which I view
as a requirement for a complete dataset package. In the package, URIs
point at some global location that would need to be redirected to a
document anchor to dereference.

If we're going to encode scopeName and LocalizedGenericName using
ReferenceType, shouldn't we change the data types in the model instead
of mapping an existing data type to a different data type when we create
the xml schema?

steve