[Auscope-geosciml] GeochronologicEraand ScopedName [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Mar 22 17:18:10 EDT 2010

Having never fully understood why we use ScopedName instead of
ControlledConcept I wholeheartedly support the change.

Part of the confusion arises by our attempt to meet conflicting use cases:
1. Deliver terms from a common vocabulary (controlled concepts);
2. Deliver a 'local' database term in preferred language;
3. Deliver both 1 and 2.

1. allows interoperability, 2 delivery of database data, 3 both.

I feel 3 is the ideal, but unless we provide both a 'controlled' term and
a 'local' term in the ControlledConcept (some initial discussion on this
was held in Quebec, but it didn't go anywhere) I can't see how we can do
it.

Is the most importance use case 'interoperability' or 'data exchange'? If
interoperability, then we should replace all ScopedNames with
ControlledConcepts, if data exchange then leave them all as ScopedNames.
Trying to pick which properties should be ControlledVocabularies or not,
which is what we did in GeoSciML v1 and 2, meets neither use case well.

I feel we should aim for interoperability (the intent of setting up the
Interoperability Working Group) and therefore make all CGI_Terms
ControlledConcepts, unless a pattern can be identified that also allows
data delivery.

Cheers
Bruce

GeoScience Victoria
AuScope Grid
Australian Spatial Research Data Commons

"Simon Cox" <simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu>
Sent by: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au
23/03/2010 02:45 AM
Please respond to
auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au

<auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au>
cc

Subject
Re: [Auscope-geosciml]  GeochronologicEraand    ScopedName
[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Apologies for changing my mind. This is a work-in-progress.
The current discussion has allowed me to clarify the arguments, and also
the recent discussions in the GML 3.3 SWG, relating to the use of xlinks.

I hope this is not a disruptive change, so I trust it can be done
smoothly.

Simon Cox

European Commission, Joint Research Centre
Institute for Environment and Sustainability
Spatial Data Infrastructures Unit, TP 262
Via E. Fermi, 2749, I-21027 Ispra (VA), Italy
Tel: +39 0332 78 3652
Fax: +39 0332 78 6325
mailto:simon.cox at jrc.ec.europa.eu
http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/simon-cox

SDI Unit: http://sdi.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
IES Institute: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/
JRC: http://www.jrc.ec.europa.eu/

Any opinions expressed are personal unless otherwise indicated.