[Auscope-geosciml] HTTP URIs as identifiers in Testbed 4 WebServices

Tellez-Arenas Agnes a.tellez-arenas at brgm.fr
Wed Mar 31 04:43:02 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am a little concerned about perfomances issues (and risk to be "black-listed" by the  http://resource.geosciml.org <http://resource.geosciml.org/>  server) when a client application wishes to dereference a controlled concept.

In the following example, if a client application is parsing a GeoSciML file to translate all the terms used, this client application should request  http://resource.geosciml.org <http://resource.geosciml.org>  for each term. And, since http://resource.geosciml.org <http://resource.geosciml.org/>  could be implemented thanks to Apache rewriting rules, each request to http://resource.geosciml.org <http://resource.geosciml.org/>  leads to another request to another server (for the example, let's say http://gsv-ws.dpi.vic.gov.au <http://gsv-ws.dpi.vic.gov.au> ).

That could lead to two problems: performances (always bad performances when a connexion is openned, and there are two requests for each term, even if the second one is hidden and managed by http://resource.geosciml.org <http://resource.geosciml.org/> , it is time consumming), and security if the security of  http://resource.geosciml.org <http://resource.geosciml.org>  (or of http://gsv-ws.dpi.vic.gov.au <http://gsv-ws.dpi.vic.gov.au/> ) does not like to receive a lot of requests from the same server, at almost the same time. Usually, the server who is requesting is black-listed.

I guess that the other choice is to use the codeSpace to harvest the content of the vocabulary (in the case of a vocabulary. I agree that for a WFS it is not so simple). In the following example, I suppose that http://resource.geosciml.org/uri-cgi/classifierscheme/cgi/simplelithology/200811 <http://resource.geosciml.org/uri-cgi/classifierscheme/cgi/simplelithology/200811>  should give the whole SKOS (in that case) file containing all the definitions, and that the unique identifier of the Concept is http://resource.geosciml.org/uri-cgi/classifier/cgi/simplelithology/200811/basalt

<gsml:lithology codeSpace="http://resource.geosciml.org/uri-cgi/classifierscheme/cgi/simplelithology/200811">
     http://resource.geosciml.org/uri-cgi/classifier/cgi/simplelithology/200811/basalt</gsml:lithology>

What do you think?

Best regards