[auscope-geosciml] RE : reference to ISO19139 in GeoSciML 2.1 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Thu Oct 7 18:37:08 EDT 2010

Hi Ben, Francois, et al,

1.  The ISO19139 import in GeoSciML v2 is not an unused import.  The import is required for the GeoSciML v2 schemas to validate because they refer to ISO19139 MD_Metadata elements, even though those elements are "byReference" and can't be encoded inline.

2.  I have checked through all of the v2 schemas which _should_ use "byReference" for all associations to ISO19139 MD_Metadata, and I found that two of them (earthmaterial.xsd and vocabulary.xsd) have not used "byReference".  This is an error.  I'm not sure how that one slipped through and has remained unseen until now.  (The GeoSciML v2 UML model has all the MD_Metadata associations correctly tagged as "byReference".)

If I change the two erroneous "byReference" tags in the v2.1.1 schemas, I don't think the new schemas will be backwardly compatible to v2.0/2.1.  I suggest that we leave it as a bug in version 2 (it's not a show-stopper, and has apparently not caused issues with any existing web services), and fix it in version 3.

What do you think?