[auscope-geosciml] RE : RE : RE : EarthMaterial package [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Wed Oct 27 17:38:54 EDT 2010

>Governance is an aspect of an interoperability contract, as far as we are
concerned - so a single authority may quite naturally have different sets
of policies for different components

In fact the Interoperability Working Group currently governs both the
GeoSciML and EarthResourceML namespaces. The work done on these packages
is done by different groups, both working to the IWG 'guidelines'.

As the development teams grow (more community engagement) it would make
sense to have various packages modified by experts in those fields, rather
than relying on the current group of 'generalists'!  Whatever facilitates
this is where she should be heading.

From:   <Rob.Atkinson at csiro.au>
To:     <auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au>
Date:   28/10/2010 08:33 AM
Subject:        Re: [auscope-geosciml] RE :  RE :  RE :  EarthMaterial
package [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Sent by:        auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au

Governance is an aspect of an interoperability contract, as far as we are
concerned - so a single authority may quite naturally have different sets
of policies for different components - even components of the same type.
GeoSciML may have a core they maintain as stable and domain-specific
extensions that are devolved to more active development teams.  Likewise,
within the same set of policies, a different life-cycle status may apply.
I'd characterise all of these as part of the governance aspect.

Whether this means we need different namespaces is I think bound up in
versions - if we have versions in namespaces then by default we must have
different namespaces for each application schema, since they may be
versioned independently - or we lose the benefits of encapsulation.

As we move to a model and model-derived artefact repository that handles
dependencies and versions we will need to start understanding and
capturing a set of policies and lifecycle status around which a
methodology can be matured.  Please send your suggestions in :-) In the
meantime Simon is looking into this on behalf of ISO and I'm attempting to
focus this around what can be automated and impacts the entire
model-driven archtecture chain of dependencies.

Rob