[auscope-geosciml] Persistent Identifiers in GeoSciML Services

Pavel.Golodoniuc at csiro.au Pavel.Golodoniuc at csiro.au
Wed Sep 22 01:02:08 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I recently had discussions with Bruce Simons and Alistair Ritchie on persistent identifiers in GeoSciML services. Proposed CGI URI Scheme seems right to me, but I have some concerns about proposed codeSpace value on gml:identifier. Following the discussion on https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/twiki/bin/view/CGIModel/PersistentIdentifiersInGeoSciMLServicesDiscussion#codeSpace_value_on_gml_identifer my opinion is that even http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986 (successor of RFC2396) is inappropriate as it defines syntax for URI, which is a broad term and may use different URI schemes. A URI can be further classified as a locator, a name, or both. This means that a URN (e.g. urn:oasis:names:specification:docbook:dtd:xml:4.1.2) is a totally valid URI. On the other hand, a URL is a subset of URIs that, in addition to identifying a resource, provides means of locating the resource by describing its primary access mechanism. Therefore, I think, URL is the thing we are actually looking at - RFC1738 or its successor.

Regards,

[cid:image001.gif at 01CB5A56.36725160]

Pavel Golodoniuc | Computer Scientist

Australian Resources Research Centre (ARRC)
26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington WA 6151, Australia
Mailing Address: PO Box 1130, Bentley WA 6102, Australia
Ph: 08 6436.8776 | M: 04 2173.4773 | E: Pavel.Golodoniuc at csiro.au<mailto:Pavel.Golodoniuc at csiro.au>
W: www.csiro.au<http://www.csiro.au/>