[auscope-geosciml] GeoSciML Thematic View schema - call for feedback

Alistair Ritchie alistair.bh.ritchie at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:08:11 EDT 2010

> Could you clarify what you mean when you say this is not for setting up a
> simple GeoSciML WFS? Surely it is for setting up a simple WFS amongst other
> things.

*GeoSciML Thematic View* is being desinged to meet thematic
mapping/portrayal use cases. In terms of technology this relates to the
standardisation of the deployment of map services - primarily WMS - making
the consistent use of tools like SLD possible across multiple service
instances.

WFSs may be set up as data sources for these map services, but they are not
a mandatory requirement: depending on the technology being used, a source
WFS may not be required.

Cheers
Alistair

PS To me, a 'simple GeoSciML WFS' means working with GeoSciML sensu stricto.
If so, we have limited scope for simplification there - for example, it is
impossible to create a GML-SF level 0 profile of GeoSciML because of our use
of 'user-defined' data-types. GeoSciML TV would not an appropriate example
of such a simplfication - the data are too simple and generalised (see the
related representative age discussion) to be of any great value except in
the most rudimentry examples of data exchange.

*Alistair Ritchie*
*GEOSCIENCE VICTORIA* | EARTH RESOURCES DIVISION
Department of Primary Industries | Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9658 4512 | Fax: +61 3 9658 4555