[auscope-geosciml] RE : [GeoSciML] #50: Sampling feature can't report from which collection(s) it comes from [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tue Jun 7 20:50:07 EDT 2011

I don't like to resort to contorded scheme when I don't understand why I must do it. I'd like to hear the rationale about this unidirectional link.  I think it has something to do with generic FeatureCollection/featureMember.  In this case, it's a casual container, so feature don't need to "know"  they are part of that ephemeral collectioné.  But for samples, they are genuine collection that are important to consider, specially for statistical purporse.

________________________________

De: auscope-geosciml-bounces at lists.arcs.org.au de la part de Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Date: mar. 2011-06-07 19:15
À: auscope-geosciml at lists.arcs.org.au
Objet : Re: [auscope-geosciml] [GeoSciML] #50: Sampling feature can't report from which collection(s) it comes from [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Eric,

I agree.  It appears you may have to use the "SamplingFeatureComplex" association class to group your samples together with a role of "member of the XYZ SamplingFeatureCollection"?  Or you would have to refactor your WFS to deliver SF_SamplingFeatureCollection/member/SF_SamplingFeatures instead.  I think I'd prefer to have an optional navigable association from SF_SamplingFeature to SF_SamplingFeatureCollection too.

 <https://email.nrcan.gc.ca/exchange/eboisver/Drafts/RE%C2%A0:%20[auscope-geosciml]%20[GeoSciML]%20%2350:%20Sampling%20feature%20can%27t%20report%20from%20which%20collection(s)%20it%20comes%20from%20[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED].EML/1_multipart/image001.jpg>

O&M v1 didn't have this problem, because SamplingFeatureCollection was a subtype of SamplingFeature, and so the relatedSamplingFeature association could be used to link a Sample to its SamplingFeatureCollection.  It would be interesting to learn the rationale behind the change in O&M v2.