[auscope-geosciml] Opportunities for re-factoring GeoSciML? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Mon Jun 13 09:46:15 EDT 2011

There are a couple of mutual dependency glitches to iron out before Simon's suggestion could be done:

1. GeoSciMLCore-GeologicEvent <-> GeologicStructure-DisplacementValue = mutual dependency between GeoSciML-Core and GeologicStructure

2. (GeologicStructure-GeologicStructure -> GeoSciML-Core-GeologicFeature) + (GeoSciMLCore-GeologicEvent -> GeologicStructure-DisplacementValue) = mutual dependency between GeoSciML-Core and GeologicStructure

Apart from the above dependency glitches which would need remodelling, we are a long way down the track of version 3 now.  I'm currently putting the finishing touches to the v3 rc3 schemas and was hoping that this RC would be the last one.  A refactor at this stage (with 3 new app schemas and namespaces) would be a pretty major reconstruction of what we've been working on with v3 RC's to date (and Francois and I will effectively discard our last week's work on generating/checking the v3 rc3 schemas if we want to refactor GeoSciML now).

I would love to say "Put this off until version 4".  However, I am loathe to give anyone a further chance to label GeoSciML as a "moving target" with yet another refactoring at version 4.  So if we want to do any more package refactoring, I would strongly urge that we do it now or not at all.  If the GeoSciML team is amenable to Simon's refactoring suggestions, Francois and I would stop work on the current v3 rc3 schemas and we'll generate a new set of schemas after the model is refactored.

Given the implications of Simon's suggestion, could I ask for comments from all of the GeoSciML team with some urgency.  My personal feeling is one of ambivalence to further splitting up of the GeoSciML-Core application schema.  I'm not convinced of the need for it, but I would not be opposed to the idea if the majority of the GeoSciML community was for it.

Project Leader
National Geological Maps and Data Standards Project
Geoscience Australia

Interoperability Working Group

Ph: +61 2 62499575  |  Fax: +61 2 624799917 |  Email: oliver.raymond at ga.gov.au<mailto:oliver.raymond at ga.gov.au>