[auscope-geosciml] Opportunities for re-factoring GeoSciML?[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Jun 13 19:03:28 EDT 2011

Last year I suggested moving GeologicUnit and GeologicStructure out of
GeoSciML-Core, but received no support then. Clearly I am in favour of an
improved refactoring but there is potentially considerable discussion
required to determine what should be in GeoSciML-Core.  Simon has
suggested one option, I'd prefer to see EarthMaterial, GeologicFeature,
Collection remain in GeoSciML-Core, with GeologicUnit, GeologicStructure,
GeologicAge and GeologicRelation have their own package.

Given how close the Edinburgh meeting is, and the need to determine how to
refactor I think we have missed the opportunity and will need to leave it
to an OGC DWG.

Regarding instance documents, like Eric I have not produced any yet - none
of the current GeoSciML v3 ones validate in Altova XMLSpy so AFAIC we do
not yet have a valid schema.  As such any decision will not set back work
I have done (trying to fix gsml:Borehole).

Senior Information Geoscientist
GeoScience Victoria/Australian Spatial Research Data Commons
Level 9, 55 Collins St
PO Box 4440
Melbourne, Victoria, 3001
Australia