[auscope-geosciml] TB4 Instances and Schematron Validation

Sen, Marcus A. mase at bgs.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 11:23:46 EDT 2011

Anyone putting up instances can try validating them against the developing Schematron rules in addition to the XML Schema release candidates.

https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/CGIModel/GeoSciML3SchematronRules describes some proposed rules and the motivation for them. They need further discussion and additions.

A Schematron schema implementing to some extent the proposed rules is in Subversion at https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/subversion/GeoSciML/branches/3.0.0/schematron/GeoSciML_v3_Testbed_4.sch.

If you aren't set up for doing Schematron validation yourself you can use the CSIRO web service set up by Pavel at http://xmldev.arrc.csiro.au/Schematron/. It also works in oXygen.

I've noted some of the results at https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/CGIModel/TB4InstanceDocuments, in most cases they show changes that need making to the instance documents but in some it may be the Schematron rules that need changing.

Feel free to comment on whether the existing rules are reasonable and suggest additional ones.

Marcus

P.S.
I've freely edited the original Schematron file by Pavel and Bruce, not necessarily for the better but I thought it was easier just to make the changes and then see if there were any objections. The major change I made was that it no longer uses the CSIRO custom Javascript extensions which only worked on the CSIRO service but instead uses XSLT/XPATH 2 functions which are more generally implemented. This is for the regular expression matching. Javascript was also used for testing external links; I'm not sure whether just using the document() function is a viable alternative but these tests always seemed to time out anyway.