[auscope-geosciml] The status of GeoSciML v3 [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laxton, John L. jll at bgs.ac.uk
Wed Jun 15 12:20:54 EDT 2011

Hi Ollie,

The only significant extension we've made to GeoSciML for INSPIRE is for geomorphology. I had assumed the inclusion of this would have to wait until version 4 but if you are still open to changes to v3 then maybe this could be considered.

What we have done is pretty simple as shown on the diagram below. We considered geomorphological features to be areal, either erosional or depositional, and thus types of GeologicFeature rather than GeologicUnit. Depositional features however have an optional relatedUnit association to a GeologicUnit to describe the unit formed in conjunction with the GeomorphologicalFeature (eg river terrace deposit related to a river terrace, a glacial outwash gravel related to an esker etc). GeomorphologicFeatures have two sub-types - natural and anthropogenic, as this was considered a significant enough distinction to warrant separate 'type' vocabularies and in future might be extended with different properties (eg 'purpose' for anthropogenic).

We thought also that 'Geomorphological Unit' should be removed from the vocabulary of GeologicUnit types, on the grounds described above that geomorphology is about surface features not the underlying materials.

Maybe we could discuss this in Edinburgh?

John