[auscope-geosciml] GeoSciML3 Borehole Collar

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Thu Jun 16 01:17:17 EDT 2011

Hi all,
Mapping hydrological bores from Ballarat University and Victorian Future
Farming Systems Research, and DPI's Petroleum Wells has indicated that
BoreholeCollar:elevation is more complex than currently captured in
GeoSciML v2. There are two issues:

1. Multiple BoreholeCollar:elevations
Petroleum Wells usually have a Kelly Bush elevation and a ground level
elevation. Similarly Water wells usually have a 'natural surface'
elevation and a 'top casing' elevation.
Currently GeoSciML only has an elevation property, so it is unclear which
of these should be used. GroundWaterML 1 has a 'referenceElevation' to
indicate the elevation other values (such as water level) relate to.

I think both referenceElevation and groundElevation should be available.
Really CollarLocation should be a 3D point, but we have split the
elevation and location data for software reasons.

I think we should either have two elevation properties on BoreholeCollar,
or preferably allow 1..* collarLocation with an associated role.  Perhaps
we should also bite the bullet and combine elevation and location into a
3D BoreholeCollar. The elevation notes state: "Compromise approach to
supply elevation explictly for location; this is to allow for software
that cannot process 3-D GM_Point. "

2. Some Borehole Casing height values vary with time as farmers drive over
the casing, the hole is re-cased etc. I'm not sure if this happens in the
mineral, engineering and petroleum industries.
A request has been made by the hydrogeologists to add a date stamp to the
BoreholeCollar so these changes can be tracked.

Senior Information Geoscientist
GeoScience Victoria/Australian Spatial Research Data Commons
Level 9, 55 Collins St
PO Box 4440
Melbourne, Victoria, 3001
Australia