[auscope-geosciml] Quantity vs QuantityRange [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Thu Jun 16 22:00:52 EDT 2011

Hi Eric,

peakPressureValue and peakTemperatureValue must, by the nature of being a "peak" value, be only one number and not a range.  That one number may have an error associated with it.   There is a subtle difference between a range (2 numbers, upper and lower values, both of which may have errors - like NumericAge), and a single value number with an error.  The chemical assay is an example of a single number (swe:quantity) with an error (swe:quality) -  the pattern works for me.

On a related point, I was recently mulling over the various places in the model that we use either a term range (eg, AlterationDescription/alterationDegree) or multiple single values (eg, MetamorphicDescription/metamorphicFacies, and ParticleGeometryDescription/sorting).  I think there is scope for more consistent use of ranges or multiple values.  Typically in the model, we are using CGI_Term (1..*) for cases where more than one term is allowed, including where those multiple terms imply a range.  AlterationDescription/alterationDegree is the only place in the model where we still use CGI_TermRange.

This suggests to me that we should either:    1) stop using CGI_TermRange altogether and remove it from the model, or
2) use CGI_TermRange in those cases where CGI_Term (1..*) is really meant to indicate a range (eg, for particle sorting and metamorphic facies?) rather than a set of random single values

Project Leader
National Geological Maps and Data Standards Project<http://www.ga.gov.au/minerals/projects/current-projects/geological-maps-standards.html>
Geoscience Australia

Interoperability Working Group<https://www.seegrid.csiro.au/wiki/bin/view/CGIModel/InteroperabilityWG>

Ph: +61 2 62499575  |  Fax: +61 2 62479992  |  Email: oliver.raymond at ga.gov.au<mailto:oliver.raymond at ga.gov.au>  |  Google Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=canberra+australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.344028,149.158362&spn=0.007684,0.016404&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1>