[auscope-geosciml] Communication between GeoSciML and Safe Software [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stephen Richard steve.richard at azgs.az.gov
Thu Jun 16 23:47:02 EDT 2011

Steve Grise pointed Don at me, and I sent him this:

Don-

It's exciting to hear you're interested complex feature XML. One of the big
bottlenecks for moving forward with GeoSciML is the absence of any client
support. I think it's a bootstrapping problem-no motivation to develop
clients until there are services, no motivation to develop services until
there are clients. .  We (AzGS) implemented a demo WFS client for GeoSciML
in ArcMap (pretty basic.) -that's the use case that I've been most
interested in. The stuff (including example GeoSciML docs) is in a
subversion repository:  <http://code.google.com/p/feature-service-toolbar/>
http://code.google.com/p/feature-service-toolbar/  you'll want to get the
source-that's the only download.

Our client uses v2 since that's the current tag release. We haven't pushed
it forward since then, but have deployed a gsmltv service and are promoting
use of that for the AASG geothermal data service. Ryan set up a little demo
web page using the gsmltv services at http://services.usgin.org/ncgmp/demo.
Not pretty, but. Uses WFS response to spin up legend for current view frame,
click on a poly and get gsmltv content. I have to confess I was profoundly
influenced by the way OneGeology Europe seems to have been engineered-most
participants implemented a simple feature service that was transformed into
complex features by the mediator at BRGM, raising the vexing question that
if the desired information could be transferred using a simple feature
schema, what was gained by transforming it into a complex schema? I feel
like a heretic!

We've been pretty focused on simple feature services for the geothermal data
system, currently deployed using ArcGIS server, so there's WMS, WFS, KML and
ESRI rest services. ArcGIS can connect and use the simple feature services
out of the box (if the interoperability extension is installed-requires
custom install). I haven't been able to keep up with the conversations on
v3; at this point I'm of the opinion that we've got to get a tag posted, so
we need to lock with what we've got and focus on demonstrating value in
utilization of the complex schema.

Tucson, Arizona, 85701   USA

phone: 520 209-4127

AZGS Main: (520) 770-3500.  FAX: (520) 770-3505

email: steve.richard at azgs.az.gov