[auscope-geosciml] Resignation

Alistair Ritchie alistair.bh.ritchie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 02:35:35 EDT 2011

Hi GeoSciMLers

This week I handed in my resignation at GeoScience Victoria and in August
will take a position as Environmental Information and Systems Analyst at
Landcare Research in New Zealand. My resignation also coincides with the end
of GeoScience Victoria as a Victorian government entity.

Over the next two weeks I hope to get some basic web feature (GeoSciML 3.0)
and web map (GeoSciML-TV) services working for Testbed 4 with the primary
intent of testing the use of http-URIs as property values and resolvable
identifiers. The latter will test providing different representations of
resources using HTTP content negotiation and the linking of GeoSciML and
GeoSciML-TV services.

You may have noticed that I've been very quiet this year - the changes here
included a withdrawal of support for our CGI work and as a result I have not
done anywhere near as much work as I would have liked for GeoSciML 3.0 and
Testbed 4. This change in direction was a significant factor in my decision
to leave GSV (helped by being given an opportunity to go home to New
Zealand).

With Testbed 4 complete I will then resign from the CGI-IWG. My new job is
focussed on the design and deployment of OGC and vocabulary services for
environmental scientists and has a strong collaborative aspect so I hope to
still work with (steal from, give to) the GeoSciML community in the future.

I've thoroughly enjoyed working with you all and, this is the important bit,
am grateful for your help and support over the years - that GSV has services
up at all is more because of you lot - our external collaboration partners -
than our internal IT support. Thank you.

Oh, and I also quite enjoyed hanging out during the evenings in various
cities around the world.

Take care,
Alistair

*Alistair Ritchie*
*GEOSCIENCE VICTORIA* | EARTH RESOURCES DIVISION
Department of Primary Industries | Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Tel: +61 3 9658 4512 | Fax: +61 3 9658 4555

"XML is like violence. If it doesn't solve the problem, use more." - Unknown