[auscope-geosciml] GeoSciML3 Borehole Collar [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Dale.Percival at ga.gov.au Dale.Percival at ga.gov.au
Mon Jun 20 18:34:21 EDT 2011

I hope I'm missing something obvious here but I assumed a collar is the physical item (casing) that maintains the integrity of the top of the borehole.

Does the position of a borehole collar depend on the purpose of the borehole? The difference between an exploration and a production well (apologies for the petroleum perspective), exploration uses the KB and production uses the point on the earth's surface?

Conceptually I would have thought that the importance of the borehole would be the point of origin on the earth's surface. Once a machine has been removed from the location the only remaining physical structure is the borehole collar, is it important to know what the height of the rig/truck was from that point?