[auscope-geosciml] GeoSciML3 Borehole Collar [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Simons at dpi.vic.gov.au
Mon Jun 20 18:44:06 EDT 2011

The issue is that the Borehole reference point (the collar) may change
over the life of the Borehole.

For Petroleum wells the original reference point is usually the KB, and
all wireline logs, samples etc are measured relative to this. But there is
also the ground height (or subsea height) that represents a different
"collar" location.

For Water Bores the top of casing is usually the reference point, and
again this is different to ground height. A further complication is that
this casing height may change over time for water monitoring bores as the
casing is replaced.

Life is usually fairly simple for mineral, coal and engineering bores,
where irrespective of the height of the drill rig, the ground surface is
usually provided as the reference height.  However, in some areas, such as
the LaTrobe Valley where there is significant de-watering occurring, even
this ground height may change over time.

So the aim is to be able to capture these variations, of which there are
at least two usually required (KB/Casing and ground height) along with the
date they apply to (period?) and the role of the collar location.

Senior Information Geoscientist
GeoScience Victoria/Australian Spatial Research Data Commons
Level 9, 55 Collins St
PO Box 4440
Melbourne, Victoria, 3001
Australia