[auscope-geosciml] RE : MappedFeature

Wed May 11 06:17:50 EDT 2011

>Cannot the metadata do this - as I recall there are 19115 properties for positional accuracy and spatial resolution?

it can. But how do we tell the client application that it should seek this information in the metadata ? (metadata of what actually ? metadata of the collection or the source dataset ? - there might be several sources in a single collection).  If we use some pointer un positionalAccuracy to point to metadata fragment, we are back to square one (this info is repeated for every instance).

What you are looking for is a way to define "default" values or references to subsitute to voided or missing properties and it should be valid for a given dataset (not at the schema level).  Maybe generate one instance of MappedFeature at the top of the collection that has a role of "template" (similar to GeologicFeature that can either be normative or instances) where all the values are defined explicitly and when a property is missing/voided in any subsequent feature, the value must be drawn from the template instance assuming it's the same feature type.

too crazy ?