[auscope-geosciml] This mailing list will be shut down

Ben Caradoc-Davies Ben.Caradoc-Davies at csiro.au
Wed May 18 22:48:12 EDT 2011

What is not mentioned in today's ARCS announcement is ongoing support
for mailing lists, such as this one (look at the address). This is
because there will be none.

*This mailing list will be shut down.*

There are several viable options for a new mailing list service,
including Google and CSIRO's Mailman lists. Selection criteria should
include:

- Avoiding the perception of organisational hegemony i.e. a CSIRO list
might give the impression that CSIRO owns GeoSciML or can be blamed for
it (I'm not saying that it can't [via Simon]!). But we accept this for
SEEGrid, so maybe it is not a big deal.

- Level of technical support. Google is free: if it breaks or is
compromised, you get your money back. CSIRO at least in theory provides
technical support.

- Features, familiarity, and ease of administration. CSIRO uses Mailman,
like this list.

What do youse want to do?

Kind regards,
Ben.