[auscope-geosciml] [ExternalEmail] This mailing list will be shut down

Simon.Cox at csiro.au Simon.Cox at csiro.au
Wed May 18 23:16:01 EDT 2011

What Rob is pointing out here is that OGC has a Hydrology Domain Working group and a Met-Ocean Domain Working group, each of which take advantage of OGC's mailing lists, portal, wiki, etc.
Alongside the HydroDWG there is a WaterML 2.0 Standards Working Group which is currently processing the WaterML 2.0 specification.

Geo could get access to OGC infrastructure by setting up a Geo DWG, and then in due course there could be a GeoSciML 3.0 SWG to process GeoSciML as an OGC spec.

However, there would then be an expectation that the GeoDWG would hold a 2-3 hour meetings at least once a year at an OGC TC meeting. Furthermore the usual OGC conditions would have to waived if the group and list were to be made open to non-OGC members. However, there is precedent for this in the HydroDWG, which was set up in the context of a MOU with WMO who required that the lists and Wiki should be public. In our case we would want a similar arrangement, brokered with IUGS-CGI I guess. I would anticipate a favourable response from OGC who seem happy to welcome mature initiatives joining OGC at the moment. David Arctur would probably be the contact point.

It would hardly be worth all this effort just to get access to the infrastructure (even though the IUGS infrastructure is essentially non-existent we could certainly muddle through using CSIRO or even Google with less effort). But perhaps the time is ripe for CGI/GeoSciML to establish a more formal connection with OGC. It would have to be approved by the CGI Council, however.

Simon