[GeoSciML] Wellington Meeting Agenda item: "Consistent use of patterns - are there changes required to allow better use between overlapping domains?" [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au Oliver.Raymond at ga.gov.au
Thu Aug 2 03:27:14 EDT 2012

Hi Bruce,

Interesting. Look up "scope creep" in the dictionary and you'll find a history of GeoSciML development from 2004 to 2012  ;-)

I think you have some very valid issues here, but I think we need to have some philosophical agreement first.  We need to carefully consider how much we want GeoSciML to be used outside of the geology domain.  Is GeoSciML a specifically geological domain model, or do we want it to be a more generic model for any earth-related domain.  O&M is small and generic, and is designed for cross-domain work. In contrast, GeoSciML is large and detailed, and largely designed for a pretty specific domain.  We need to consider where we draw the line with GeoSciML as a cross-domain standard.  Is it more appropriate for other earth science domains to build their own models/schemas using or extending the patterns of GeoSciML, rather than ask that GeoSciML be amended to suit their own domain needs?

But having said that,

1. I like that the old "estimatedProperty link to observation" chestnut (Eric's baby) may be gaining some traction to actually get resolved.  Your physicalProperty issue is, in my eyes, the same problem.  I don't have a solution right now.

2. At first look, I don't have a problem with your colo(u)r and particle geometry solutions.

3. I don't see why compositionCategory and geneticCategory can't be on all CompoundMaterials.  It's just the vocabularies that change depending on the material type.

4. Re MappedFeature - what you describe sounds like a very generic mapped feature.  Maybe what you propose should be pushed up the chain to become a GML construct rather than a GeoSciML construct?

Interoperability Working Group

Phone:  +61 2 6249 9575    Fax:  +61 2 6249 9971
Cnr Jerrabomberra Avenue and Hindmarsh Drive Symonston ACT
GPO Box 378 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia