[GeoSciML] Wellington Meeting Agenda item: "Consistent use of patterns - are there changes required to allow better use between overlapping domains?" [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Laxton, John L. jll at bgs.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 05:25:22 EDT 2012

Bruce,

As Ollie says we need to think carefully how generic we want to make GeoSciML, remembering that the more generic the model is the more complicated it will become to use and the more likely it will be to require an agreed profile to ensure interoperability (geology profile, soil profile etc). We had this argument over the 'lithology' property and what you suggest for 'color' is going down the same road - we have to ensure that it is simple to do simple things within the domain GeoSciML was designed for. The main arguments we had over acceptance of GeoSciML in INSPIRE involved folk saying it was too complex.

That said parts of the model have been designed to be extensible to at least other areas of geoscience - sub-typing RockMaterial from CompoundMaterial for example envisages other types of CompoundMaterial, so maybe compositionCategory and geneticCategory could be moved if they are not appropriate for other domains. Likewise MappedFeature is almost generic but not quite, so modifying it along the lines you suggest could be useful, but as Ollie says maybe this should be part of GML rather than GeoSciML.

We had a lot of discussions in INSPIRE with the Soil modellers about how much they could re-use elements of the Geology specification (eg how a Soil Unit related to a Geologic Unit) but in the end we concluded that the real-world objects we were describing were just too different.

John